Covid-19 Safety Procedures
Kennedy Dance Theatre is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all our students during these unprecedented times. Below are the following procedures we’ve put in place to keep our students as safe as possible in the studio. These procedures are subject to change as the situation develops.
Aerial & Acro Classes
Illness or Exposure
ZOOM Online Classes
- UV Ionic Air Purifier System. The studio has installed a UV ionizer air purifier in all the studios that kills viruses and bacteria.
- Extra Cleaning Procedures. The studio will sanitize all high traffic areas such as door knobs, door frames, light switches, shoe cubbies, ballet barres, stereo, etc., between each class with medical grade products. The studio will be further deep cleaned including sterilizing the dance floor with a disinfecting solution in between classes and at the end of each night.
- Masks. Starting August 24th, 2020, students ages 8+ will be required to wear a mask while entering and exiting the building as close contact is more likely to happen during those times. Once in the studio rooms and separated, students have the option to remove their mask for the duration of class. In some cases older students may be asked to wear masks within class when working on choreography. Studio staff will wear masks or face shields. Preschool dancers will not be required to wear a mask at any time.
- What to bring. Students are only to bring a small dance bag (no large duffle bags) with any needed dance shoes, filled water bottle (the communal water fountain is closed), and a cell phone. No other items are permitted.
- No Contact Policy. At the parent’s discretion, the studio staff will adhere to a strict no contact policy. Those students will be given a wristband to notify staff. Otherwise, teachers will use hand sanitizer after any physical correction that may be given. Children will not hold hands. If used, props are sanitized
- Dressing Rooms Closed. Dancers need to come already dressed for class.
- Hair. Students need to have their hair up in a slicked back pony tail or bun upon arrival to help with avoiding touching the face. Staff will be unable to assist students with getting their hair ready for class.
- Bathroom. We ask that students go to the restroom before they leave home. Students are still allowed to use the restroom during class but it will require an office staff to accompany younger students. The bathroom will be sanitized after each student that uses it.
- Lobby Closed. The lobby will be closed and inaccessible to parents and other family members with one exception. One Predance and CD 1 parent may observe classes on the lobby viewing screens for the first 4 weeks of enrollment. We understand you may not be comfortable leaving your child at KDT. We encourage parents of young students stay close by staying in your car outside the studio.
- Office. The office will still operate under its currently posted hours. Only parents needing to see the office staff or to purchase dancewear or shoes may come into the front door. Please contact us to setup a specific time to purchase supplies to avoid overcrowding in the Sparkle Boutique.
- Because of the unique design of our facility with multiple exterior doors, students can enter and exit more directly to and from their classrooms.
- Arrival. A staff member will come to the designated entrance door right before class time to escort students into the building; please wait in your car until then. Please be mindful to distance yourself while waiting for your turn to enter. All students entering the building will need to have a signed Covid release waiver on file in the office and must be able to answer NO to the Covid health questionnaire.
- Temperature Checks. All students will have their temperature taken with a no touch thermometer. While we acknowledge that it is possible to be sick without a fever, these checks will help us eliminate at least some of the risk. If it is found that a student is reading a temperature of 100.3 or above, they will immediately be sent back to their parent’s vehicle.
- Entering Studio. One by one, dancers will be given hand sanitizer and allowed into the studio where they will put their bags down at their assigned spot.
- During class. Children are spaced in designated areas 6 feet apart. Barres are not used except in ballet class. In transferring from 1 classroom to another, there is a directional flow pattern that continues to keep groups separated.
- Departure. At the end of the class, dancers will be sent one by one to collect their bag. Students will exit the same door they entered (unless they have multiple classes, then they would exit out the door of the room of their last class). Parents are welcome to wait outside the exit door to pick up their student but please be mindful about distancing around the door. The teacher will stay at the door to ensure the children arrive safely to their cars/parents. (Either the teacher returns to the classroom to clean or an assistant or staff member cleans the room during dismissal.)
Aerial & Acro Classes
- Exclusive Use. The silks will no longer be shared. A flyer will be assigned exclusive use of one silk for a specified time period. At the end of each class, the silk will be sprayed down with sanitizer. The silks are hung 5 ½-6 feet part.
- Gym Mats. The gym mats will be wiped and sprayed down with sanitizer before and after each class. The gym mats will no longer be connected in a row but instead separated so each student has their own.
Illness or Exposure
- Any student or faculty member showing prolonged or repetitive signs of illness will immediately be sent home for the day. No exceptions.
- If a student, faculty member or a member of their immediate family has contracted the COVID-19 virus or believes they may have come in direct contact with someone who has, they will be required to refrain from coming to the studio for a minimum of 2 weeks. Students may return to the studio earlier with a negative test result and clearance from their doctor.
- All people potentially exposed by a confirmed positive person will be notified.
ZOOM Online Classes
- Where it is deemed necessary for the health and safety of our students and faculty, at any time KDT reserves the right to temporarily Zoom classes.